Thursday, January 23, 2014

Report from ... Anteprima Amarone 2010, Day/Night 1 - January 23, 2014

Spent most of the day on a plane or waiting for one, but I'm finally here in Verona at Hotel Bologna ... small but comfortable.  Slept a couple of hours in the afternoon before heading down to the welcome dinner in the hotel restaurant: Risto Rubiani.  Here are some of the wines tasted and the food tried:

First wine of the trip: Corte Rugolin 2012 Valpolicella Classico:
plenty of cherry and sour cherry with a nice cranberry backing
Our "welcome from the kitchen": Bean Soup - sound much better in Italian
Moving up the ladder in the Valpolicella region to the Classico Superiore range
Roberto Mazzi 2010 Valpolicella Classico Superiore - Vigneto Poiega:
black cherry, vanilla, chocolate, with nice acidity balancing out the finish (****)
Dig the new-fangled date changing method on the label.
Bigoli with duck sauce
I ended up wearing some shaved cheese (not my fault),
the up-side is they are some of the best smelling clothes I have.
My two top wines tasted this evening:
San Cassiano 2010 Ripasso Superiore (left) - rich plum and black cherry nose,
leads to a smooth, rich almost creamy palate full of dark fruit, then the acidity
swoops in kicking it up a notch on the finish. (****+)
Cantina Valpantena 2011 Torre del Falasco, Ripasso Superiore (right) - mocha,
black cherry, cassis and spiced plum aromas which follow onto the palate and adds
some anise notes; long lovely finish that pumps up the acidity. (****+)
Risotto with radicchio and Monte Veronese
(my first but I can bet not my last plate of Risotto this trip)
Gamba 2009 Ripasso Classico Superiore "Campedel"
black and red cherry, plum with a backing of vanilla and cinnamon;
maybe a touch hot with alcohol on the nose, but not intrusive -
palate full of great red cherry, vanilla and spice and a depth that
kept on giving (due to its age?) - (****)

The cheese plate ... I never thought I'd say this but,
there is such a thing as "too much cheese"
Dessert: Bonet amaretto with candied orange ...
Another thing I never thought I'd hear myself say (about chocolate):
this was not a favourite, you just have to like Amaretto.
On the other hand the shortbread top was amazing.
Ending with coffee and mini-pastry, not being a coffee drinker (I know, shocker) I passed.

Tomorrow it's on to the "Welcome Day" and a couple of winery visits before the Gala dinner at Palazzo della Gran Guardia in Piazza Bra ...

We'll catch up with you tomorrow and let you know how it went.



No comments: